21 de novembro de 2007

The Log!


I got to know this one just now and thought I might share it (even if I presume I was the only one that didn't know this basic of basics).

Follow me through my ignorance.
We all have our nice, wonderful, very special blogs that we love so dearly. On my part, I thought that blog was just another tech brand-name, whose meaning only wizz kids knew. Ok, I admit "internet" is an easy and reconisable noun: international network, nothing special about it, but blog?

Here it is then:
Web - no need to explain.
Log - Official record of events during the voyage of a ship or aircraft; regular or systematic of incidents or observations. (It's what we see ship captains doing on movies about pirates and the like).

So: web + log = weblog

And then language is a wonderful mysterious thing and we, the speakers, got "blog"! Fabulastic, isn't it?

Therefore:

Blog - web site on which an individual or group of users produces an ongoing narrative; a log (regular record or diary) on the web.

Amasing! I'm sorry, it's the thrill of discovery!

5 comentários:

quintarantino disse...

Who seem like a Thomas Cook of modern days, Miss.

antonio ganhão disse...

Knotty girl! I can see you know all about erotic writing… your drop of the W was absolutely orgasmatic!

Blondewithaphd disse...

Quinn,
Those were the days... Saill away in those clippers... (and skippers writing on their logs, naturally!).

Blondewithaphd disse...

Antonio,
I admit you got me on this one!

Blondewithaphd disse...

Antonio,
Now I got it!! (oh Gosh, no intention there!)