11 de dezembro de 2007

Going Poetic...


I recently have discovered blogs in which people find a way to express themselves through poetry. I confess that is something that amases me. It's such a mystery to me how people can combine words in other ways other than prose. I am permanently perplexed at such a gift.
I'm not a great poetry lover (probably because I had a lot of it when I was a child), but there are feelings and ideas that are better expressed either by silence or by the combination of words we don't think possible in straight lines of prose.
This is part of one of my (very few) favourite poems by one of the great 20th century poets Dylan Thomas. It expresses exactly what I feel about something that is not a comfortable thought for us mortals. And since I'm left with neither words nor art, here it is:
And Death Shall Have no Dominion
And death shall have no dominion.
Dead men naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.
...
And death shall have no dominion.
No more may gulls cry at their ears
Or waves break loud on the seashores;
Where blew a flower may a flower no more
Lift its head to the blows of the rain;
Though they be mad and dead as nails,
Heads of the characters hammer through daisies;
Break in the sun till the sun breaks down,
And death shall have no dominion.
"Though lovers be lost love shall not". And so we also have a piece of immortality.
Beautiful...

26 comentários:

António de Almeida disse...

I like poetry, and also I like Dylan Thomas. Thank you for this one!

Blondewithaphd disse...

Not at all, Antonio de Almeida! My pleasure.

joshua disse...

So I hope and believe, my LightningBolt-blondie!

quintarantino disse...

If you admire and like reading Dylan Thomas, then there is still hope that you might become a poet yourself.
Even if you can´t put those words into paper...
As for this poem, let's hope and wait it is like that.
Very strong words here, mind you.

Patrícia Grade disse...

Blonde dearest,

I too am not a great lover of poetry in its written form, but I've found a few years ago, that poetry is at the tip of your tongue when you say I love you and mean it, it's in your eyes when you're amazed by the sky, it's in your hands when you paint or write (in any way or form), it's in you whole body when you play with a child or dance with yourself.
Everyday someone tells me I'm a poet because of my ability to be amazed, to describe my amazement in words and gestures. I find I'm a poet because I can see what others can't yet, but will some day.

This said, I'm forever astounded by the ability some people have to write poetry in rhyme and one of my favorites is the one and only Pessoa, although I grew up with Luis Vaz.

Tiago R Cardoso disse...

Como não gostas muito de poesia, agora percebo a tua ausência do meu espaço mais poético...

Faz como eu fiz, comecei a escrever as dores que tinha e agora escrevo as alegrias.

C Valente disse...

o meu inglEs deu alguma coisa , ~Boa noite e saudações amigas

antonio ganhão disse...

I promise my self I should behave. My next item in the Xtmas list comes with an air pump, I just can’t loose that one. Yes I’ve a grown up relation with Sant, if you are wondering…
I like your writing; I picture you as a blond desperate to fly, with elegance and perfect shining nails, of course!

I agree with your friend Dylan, death shall have no dominion, but I picture all naked men as one. But that’s me and my Xtmas fantasy…

antonio ganhão disse...

Tiago?

quintarantino disse...

Gosh... Blonde, what in the world are these "jokers" talking about? Naked men? Relations with Santa? Gone...

Tiago R Cardoso disse...

Em relação ao meu estabelecimento "with images", não tens de pedir desculpa, eu não faço publicidade do lugar.
Eu criei aquilo durante uma parte difícil da minha recuperação após o acidente e serviu muitas vezes para acalmar de escrever a minhas divagações, o Quint ajudou-me e agora a Carol(Poetisar) ajuda-me.

C Valente disse...

boa noite
saudações amigas

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Joshua,
And you should go on believing (with your enlightened faith).

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Quinn,
Hope for me? I'm a hopeless case my dear, but thanks for all that faith in my poor skills!

(Jokers? Did you actually say jokers? Man, you're seeing jokers?)

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dearest Indy,
So true that poetry is not just in written poems! I so much prefer that other poetry, its lyricism...

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Tiago,
A new discovery! Do that, write your joys, not your pains. I liked discoveriung your other you at your other house.

Blondewithaphd disse...

My dear CValente,
Always a charming gentleman! Boa noite para si também que ama tanto a palavra poética.

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Antonio,
I also have an adult relationship with Dylan Thomas. Such an adult affair, mind you! I liked your image on my writing, by the way. Thanks (honestly)!

(seems you're playing the grown up with Santa, aren't you? But dolls are such girlie stuff... you're not convincing me...)

Carol disse...

And what an excellent choice you made! I love this poem and I truly believe his words are true.
Poetry discovered me when I was a teenager... I stopped writing, but now I started writing again. But I must say it's a painful process. Nevertheless, it's something I need to do right now.

antonio ganhão disse...

Dolls my dear? What exactly do you have in mind?

quintarantino disse...

Blonde, now what's going on? Hum... rather, humpf!!!
I'm not liking this a bit at all. That doll I gave you is just for the two of us to play...
Oh, sorry, I get it know... you're talking about "barbies". Right?

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Carol,
Thanks! But compared to you who am I to judege poetry? (and don't dare stopping what you're doing now with words)

Blondewithaphd disse...

Dear Antonio,
Must I say? (those air pumps...)

Blondewithaphd disse...

Quinn, hush it, don't go revealing our little somethings!!! Everybody knows the dolls are Barbies!

quintarantino disse...

Sorry Blonde, real sorry... hope you ain´t angry with me...

Blondewithaphd disse...

Gee Quinn, how could I?